Glanville, as a Home providing care for elderly ladies, has been in continuous existence since 1860. It was actually started in 1857, when two Jersey ladies became concerned about the welfare of a poor, blind woman and placed her in the care of a widow. Two more poor women followed shortly after and funds were required for their maintenance. Money was raised through a bazaar and in 1860 a Committee was formed to supervise the distribution of the funds. This was when the establishment became the ‘Jersey Asylum for Infirm and Aged Women’ and soon afterwards the first Home, which was at 17 Regent Road, was set up to care for 25 ladies ranging in age from 50 to 90.
In 1963 this building was sold and Glanville purchased. In 1966 the adjacent house was bought, allowing the extensions to make the Home as it is now.
In 2010 we were delighted to celebrate our 150th Anniversary with a visit from Their Royal Highnesses the Earl and Countess of Wessex – Edward and Sophie - who spoke individually to all the residents, staff and guests and who unveiled a plaque commemorating their visit.
Glanville is still run by a voluntary Committee, as was envisaged in 1860, although many other changes have since taken place. And we certainly no longer think of ourselves as providing care for Infirm and Aged Women, as we aim to be proactive in continually promoting the independence of our residents.